[LC++] Logical/structural question about plugin systems

Jan Pfeifer pfjan at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jun 11 22:43:05 UTC 2007

If you are thinking of the more generic case, where you don't know at compile time which plugins will be available, then you could think that this is a similar problem to the one of package maintenance.

I think of tags that represents aspects of your system. Each plugin could provide the following sets:

- conflict set: plugin cannot be installed if these tags are installed

- replace set: plugin can be installed, but some previous plugin(s) has to be removed first

- provide set: plugin provides these "tags", and can only be installed if no other packages conflicts with this.

You could also add a

- depend set: plugin can only be installed if some plugin(s) provides these tags

Hope this idea helps :)

- jan