[LC++]Appending to a file from Makefile

Jack Lloyd lloyd at acm.jhu.edu
Wed Jul 21 21:31:01 UTC 2004

Append: echo your_line_here >> path_to_rc_local

To remove the line, use something like sed or grep. But consider what happens
if someone does 'make install' 10 times in a row.

Generally I'd say this is not something you want to do. If a sysadmin is
installing a kernel mod and they're not capable of setting it up to install
automatically (assuming, of course, that's what they want in the first place),
they probably shouldn't be installing kernel mods from external sources.

Also, some distros have specific places to do kernel loading (Gentoo has a file
in /etc/modules.autoload.d/ that lists all modules that should be loaded at
boot time). Anything you do in rc.local is not going to be the normal way the
module is loaded on the system.

Jack