[LC++]file copying

larry larry at twistedpop.com
Wed Jan 28 10:56:02 UTC 2004

I have a problem  related to the speed of copying files in C++ on linux.  I need to automate a process to copy files from one directory to another for media management.  Anyway, the following code is what I have been using and it is not nearly fast enough.  The entire focus of this application is speed.  In fact in Windows, I am getting at least 5 times the speed from a VB app that I am using.  I know I must be doing something wrong.  I am compiling on a one processor machine and moving it to the test equipment which has four processors and 4 gigs or RAM.  I wonder should I compile it there to see if it runs better or is there a better method for copying files from one directory to another.  The file system is Reiserfs on a gentoo installation.  The machine that I am compiling on is ext3 on Redhat.

IPFile = fopen("/home/this.jpg","r");
OPFile = fopen("/mediafiles/this.jpg","w");
while ((c = fgetc(IPFile)) != EOF)
{
    fputc(c, OPFile);
}
fclose(IPFile);
fclose(OPFile);

Anyway, I am at a loss.  There has to be a better method than this.  Thanks.

---
Larry Lines