[LC++]need help on .so files

Jack Lloyd lloyd at acm.jhu.edu
Tue Aug 24 23:46:02 UTC 2004

There is no such thing, basically. By default, all symbols all exported from a
shared object (thank Eris -- dll{export,import} are a PITA). You *can* control
this using special ELF-specific commands, though (I think). The only
application I can think of that might do this is glibc, I know it does a lot of
strange ELF symbol manipulation.

Just in the off chance you are using this for 'security' purposes, I'll point
out that an application can still access said functions if it's motivated
enough (search through the .so, find out where the function is, and cast that
value to a function pointer).

-Jack