[LC++]How to use GCC

Vincent Penquerc'h Vincent.Penquerch at artworks.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 20:41:02 UTC 2003

> Hello! how can I used gcc? i called it using the Terminal program,
> and the message says that the program cannot be found.

Try:
/usr/local/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
though I'm not sure if it'll find other programs it needs like
cpp and friends, in which case try:
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin gcc
PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin gcc
If you want the path to by available at any time without having
to type the extra path, try (if running csh):
echo "PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin" >> ~/.cshrc
or (if running bash)
echo "PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin" >> ~/.bashrc
or the equivalent with /usr/bin
(don't forget one >, there are two, that's very important :))

But, maybe, you should first check if you actually installed GCC.

To find it, try
find / -name gcc

If you have another CC, you can usually find it via

find / -name cc

warning: these two commands will search your entire filesystem
in detail, so be prepared to wait.

--
Vincent Penquerc'h