[LC++]Modem

Greg Wiley greg at orthogony.com
Tue Nov 26 06:43:02 UTC 2002

You need a modem with "answer supervision."  Most don't
have it since all they care about is a valid carrier.

You can get peripheral cards, though, designed for telephony
applications such as AVR that will have that feature.  The
bus or AT-command protocol for answer detection depends
on the card.

What's done in some cases where answer supervision is not
available is that the terminal is inserted into the connection
after a preset duration .  So that, for instance, 2 seconds after
the call is dialed, the extension is inserted and the caller
may have to listen to a few rings.

  -=greg