[LC++]getopt question

David filiond at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 18 23:48:01 UTC 2002

Carlo Wood wrote:
> Don't call getopt on it.
>
> You can either make it an argument of an option, ie
>  --date 2002-11-17
> Or you can decide to interpret it as a date because
> the first character is not a '-' and then start
> treating everything after it as non-options too.
>
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 12:17:50AM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
>>I'm using getopt(3) to obtain command line parameters for a program I've
>>written. One of the parameters is in the form of a date, to wit:
>>
>>2002-11-17
>>
>>Apparently, getopt() sees those dashes and interprets them as more
>>options. It stops and waits for me to type in something. If I take out
>>this option, the program runs fine. I've tried quoting the string,
>>double-quoting the string, escaping the dashes with backslashes. Nothing
>>appears to work. Anyone have any experience with a way to get around
>>this?
>>
>>Paul

Or put -- before it.  ex -- 2002-11-18
The double - tells getopt not to treat the remaining command line
parameters.  This does mean you will have to add code to treat the
remaining parameters yourself.

--
David Filion
Registerd (Slackware) linux user #195143

"Yes, it's manly, but let's face it, so is bungee-jumping with the
  cord tied to your testicles." -- Linus Torvalds