[LC++]Pure base class as a friend

Lawrence Sim lsim_au at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 7 13:35:07 UTC 2001

On Fri,  7 Sep 2001 12:50, Mark Phillips wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose I have a class "pointTy" which stores a point on a sphere.
> And suppose I have a pure base class "manipulatorTy" which allows the
> manipulation of these points.  The idea is that there might be
> various different types of manipulation, expressed via derived
> classes from this base class.  What I would like to be able to do, is
> say manipulatorTy is a friend of pointTy.  So that any manipulator
> would be able to change private members of pointTy.  But my

Could you make methods in manipulatorTy that do the maninulating at a
low level, then in the sub classes use these methods to do the work.
That way as long as the low level access methods are protected, you get
something like what you are sudgesting.

> understanding is that only the base class would be a friend of
> pointTy.  Any classes derived from manipulatorTy would not be friends
> unless they were each explicitly declared friend (which is not a good
> idea).  Am I right about this?

Sounds right, sorry.

--
Lawrence Sim
Web: http://users.bigpond.net.au/Lawrence_Sim/

She is descended from a long line that her mother listened to.
		-- Gypsy Rose Lee