[Tuxcpprogramming] Accessing operator[] within a class

Mark Phillips mark at austrics.com.au
Mon Jul 9 13:43:49 UTC 2001

Hi,

The vector class, provided by the Standard Template
Library overloads the operator[].  I want to define
a new version of vector using inheritance, but
with a new method of accessing elements introduced.
It should be something like this:

class myVector: public vector<int> {
  int table(int row, int col) const {
    return [row*10+col];
  }

Now this wouldn't actually compile because
I suspect the syntax "return [row*10+col]"
is wrong.  I simply want it to return the
element of the vector in position
"row*10+col" but I don't know how to do this.

I have tried the following:

return vector::[row*10+col];
return vector<int>::[row*10+col];
return vector::operator[](row*10+col);

and a few more variations besides, but nothing
seems to work.  Could someone please tell me
the correct way to do it.

Thanks,

Mark.