[TasLUG] Assistance to potential new Linux user

admin gopalmer47 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:53:34 AEDT 2019

G’day to anyone who might be able to help.
I’m am interesting in trying Linux to see if I can escape the grasp of Apple which seems to want to own more and more of me. Either that or jump to the dark side.
I inherited an old HP 8440p laptop which has Windows 7 on one partition and Ubuntu on another. In trying to access Ubuntu, I have ended up with the message 'Grub rescue' upon startup. I am unable to find the startup partition after following instructions obtained online and making several attempts to fix it.
I have inserted an Ubuntu DVD and used it to start up the laptop. On more than one occasion it got as far as setting up wireless then stopped. Now it simply churns out lines of text ending for eg in - ‘frozen’ (timeout), status { DRDY } and print_req_error, Emask 0x4 (timeout)
If there is there anyone with the time to assist me get the computer up and running I would appreciate it.

My tel # is 63919288 (Evandale) or 0490121331 and I can travel.
I look forward to hearing from anyone or getting advice as to where I might get help.
Many thanks
Graham