[PyCon-AU-chat] NCSS Challenge 2014 details

James Curran james.r.curran at sydney.edu.au
Sat Aug 2 11:00:13 EST 2014

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd follow up my keynote with details about the NCSS
Challenge, if you'd like to get involved as a mentor/tutor, or if you know
a student or teacher would like to get involved.

The NCSS Challenge 2014, starts on Monday 4th August (this coming Monday).
 The first questions will be released by the system at 8am, and students
will need to submit their solutions by Sunday 9pm (for newbies, beginners
and intermediate) and midnight (for advanced).  It is not too late to sign
up or offer to help.  Kids and their teachers around Australia need your
Python know-how!

To find out more about NCSS, visit http://ncss.edu.au.  You can get more
information about the Challenge here: http://ncss.edu.au/challenge,
including how to sign up a student or teacher.  You can also try the first
module of Grok Learning courses by registering at https://groklearning.com.

To help out as a mentor (even for just 30 minutes a week over the next 5
weeks), please email challenge at ncss.edu.au and we'll get you started with a
tutor account.  If you'd like to find out whether there is a school near
you running the Challenge that you'd like to volunteer in (or you're
already involved at a school and would like to run the Challenge there),
please email us as well.  I guarantee you'll really enjoy helping students
and even enjoy solving the questions yourself :)

If you'd like to help with the NCSS Summer School in January or your
company is interested in sponsoring NCSS, please email info at ncss.edu.au.

I'd be very keen to hear your feedback on our activities and teaching
materials, and your ideas about teaching Python in schools.  And, if you
want to know how to help out in your local school, but don't know where to
start, we're happy to help you get going.

James

---
DR JAMES R. CURRAN | Associate Professor and ARC Australian Research Fellow
School of Information Technologies | Faculty of Engineering and IT

Director | National Computer Science School | http://www.ncss.edu.au
LT Research Leader | Capital Markets CRC | http://www.cmcrc.com

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Room 449 | Building J12 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9036 6037 | F +61 2 9351 3838 | M +61 431 013 320
E james.r.curran at sydney.edu.au | W http://sydney.edu.au/it/~james