[LA-Policies] Draft Indigenous Acknowledgement policy

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sun Nov 8 13:53:50 AEDT 2015

Hi There,

s/Andrew/Matthew/g :)

> I quite like Andrew's idea, too, but see a way of getting it happening
> in a
> different way. For this it would be best to operate in coordination with
> Activ8Me, who handle all the government work in regard to Aboriginal
> satellite connectivity. In getting old, recycled hardware, preinstalled,
> and
> installed into the communities. We would then be looking at a hurdle,
> however, in regard to maintenance/updating, unless we could organise
> that through Activ8Me also. Perhaps they have somebody already on
> staff au fait with Linux?

It would be good if we had enough funds - or someone had enough expertise
and time - to help train the trainers for such an effort as well.

I'm relatively certain that LinuxSA would come on board for both of these
ideas and I'm within walking distance of ITShare SA's local office and the
current web-site for computer bank in Victoria says they've run out of
space (which means a reasonable offer to move some of the computers to
communities that may put them to use might very well be appreciated).

That said, we've suddenly moved from an acknowledgement policy into
actually doing something; I suppose that's not a particularly bad side
step.

Let's ponder what we could achieve - I suspect were the organisers of a
Linux.Conf.Au to ask delegates to forego one coffee or (le gasp) one beer
or glass of wine a day, we might be able to come up with enough funds to
do something useful. I know, it's the practical expertise, time and so
forth that is probably more important here but, alas, even with
volunteered time and expertise, the need for colourful pieces of plastic
will eventually be required.

DSL