[LA-Policies] DRAFT mailing list policy for discussion and feedback

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Sep 25 11:14:02 EST 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:37:29PM +1000, Linux Australia Secretary wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We're now in a position to send the first draft policy to this mailing list
> to seek feedback, comments and input, which is warmly welcomed by reply to
> list or to myself privately.
>
> The driver for this policy is unfortunately a negative one; in the past
> abuse of Linux Australia mailing lists through poor behaviour has taken
> significant time to contain and to steer back to an 'unheated' state. This
> policy seeks to enable community moderation while clearly demarcating
> expected standards of behaviour and consequences for transgressing such.
>
> Your time and efforts in review are appreciated and valued.

Hi guys,
	A couple of quite comments.

The formatting is a little in consistent.  Minor nit I know.

<snip>

> Deviations from these defaults will be negotiated on a case by case basis
> with the list Moderators to best suit the needs of the list.

... but they can be changed after the fact right?  The moderator can
make these changes without asking the council right?

>     2.
>
>        Council will deliberate and provide a ruling within 30 (thirty)
>        days of receiving an appeal.

So I'm banned from a list for (up to) 30days.  I appeal and have to wait
(up to) 30days for a response.

I'm not sure this is a win for anyone.

Tony.