[LA-Policies] Suggestions additions to the policy

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Thu Dec 18 10:01:00 EST 2014

Hi Tennessee, Scott and others,
Firstly thanks for taking the time to provide such a considered and well
thought out set of suggestions, and my apologies for taking such a long
time to respond.

Trying to pick up the different threads here and turn them into decision
points/motions:

*Motion to change mailing list policy: **
**That a clause be added to the policy requiring that Moderators contact
List Members who are banned from a list*

Thoughts: this would *generally* be sensible but I see cases where it
wouldn't work - for instance where if a Member was behaving
inappropriately and a Moderator contacted him/her and the Member was
then abusive toward a Moderator. My feeling is that this would be a
'good practice' for Moderators but that we shouldn't embody it in policy.

*
**
**Motion to change mailing list policy: **
**That a clause be added to the mailing list policy requiring that
**moderation occur on-list*

Thoughts: I concur with Tennessee's thoughts here - this may not be
suitable for all lists or all situations.

*Motion to change mailing list policy: **
**That a clause be added to the mailing list policy requiring that bans
be publicised *

Thoughts: as per the above - this may not be suitable or all lists or
all situations.

*
**Motion to change mailing list policy: **
**That list members be required to acknowledge or accept terms or
conditions when signing up to a list*

Thoughts: I feel we should have a statement at
http://lists.linux.org.au/listinfo around our list policy and the
expected behaviour - so it's clear or anyone signing up.
We should also include a link to mail list policy in the 'standard'
footer of all mailing lists.
However, this requires admin time to execute, and I'm acutely aware of
how stretched the Admin Team is currently.

Of course, as always very open to hearing the thoughts of others, or of
putting any or all motions here to a vote by Council.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Kathy Reid
kathy at kathyreid.id.au