[PHPwestoz] Stràngê chàràctëres §§§

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Wed Feb 16 07:09:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 21:49 +0800, Nicolas Connault wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> I'm working on an I18n solution for my auction project, French-English.
> However, French is full of funny chàrâctërs which get into the database
> fine, but get output as basic characters when retrieved by PHP . . .
> (like ch?r?ct?rs).
>
> I've searched around a bit trying to find a solution, read some stuff
> about unicode and utf-8, but nothing really encouraging when it came to
> PHP. Anyone has some experience in that area?

PHP itself is fully unicode compatible. To get the output to work you
need to add the correct encoding metadata headers to your html output.
the biggest problem you might have is if using the 3.x series of mysql
it doesnt support unicode so make sure its charset mangaling is disabled
and just treat the strings as you would any other binary data and it'll
be good

Adam