[Media] Coming-up later in the year: Voting announcements

Miles Goodhew miles at m0les.com
Tue Aug 13 23:43:49 AEST 2019

Hi all,
  So having concluded the LA conference call this evening, I thought it's
worth noting some "media things" that we hope to schedule for later in the
year.

1. Constitutional amendment
  Last year there was a motion to amend the Linux Australia constitution so
that we could be registered as a charity (Russell Stuart's detailed
explanation here:
http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/announce/2018-December/000294.html -
Implemented in this GitHub pull request:
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/38).
  Timing and communications were against us to get this approved for the
AGM this year and the motion only received 50 votes total. Some of the
feedback from LA members was they weren't aware of exactly what the
amendment meant and how short the voting period was. So the council has
decided to "do it again, but with more notice and explanation" this year.
  The text is set now, so we just need to start emitting announcements in
September for voting open in December and to be concluded the day before
the AGM.

2. LA Council elections
  There was the same common feedback from several members that they weren't
aware of the nomination and voting periods for LA council positions. As a
result, there were not enough nominations to fill the vacant positions.Some
guy just stood up at the AGM and got accepted onto the LA council by
default, without even having to contest a vote. In order to avoid this next
year, a communication campaign similar to the constitution amendment one
should also be run to get across the points of:
  * When nominations open/close
  * When the voting period opens/closes
  * Why it's a great thing to nominate (Something like
https://linux.org.au/nominate-for-council/)

Anyway, I might try to rustle-up some assets for these soon and draft some
posts,etc.

M0les.