[Media] [Linux-aus] Linux Australia newsletter call for articles

Lev Lafayette lev at levlafayette.com
Wed Sep 11 11:25:43 EST 2013

Linux Users of Victoria - More growth and activities

In the last six months Linux Users of Victoria, Inc., has continued to
expand its membership, activities and have even witnessed an improvement
in finances. In this time we've held our usual monthly main meetings with
two technical speakers and our beginners workshops with another speaking
providing a hands-on introductory session. Particular highlights of these
include OpenStack, DRM in HTML5, Raspberry Pi, and Linux on
Supercomputers.

Both the main meetings and the beginners workshops have seen increased
average attendance with the former now ranging between 30 and 40 people
and the latter between 15 and 25. In addition to these meetings, LUV has
also started irregular "Linux coffee" mornings in several Melbourne
suburbs which have allowed people to whittle away some time just chatting
about Linux-related issues.

Part of this growth must be attributed to our expanded social media
activities, including a new Meetup group, and a significant expansion of
books to the Library of LUV (LoL), which is now stored on Librarything. As
part of our continuing quest for improvement, LUV gave consideration to
disincorporate at our last Annual General Meeting, however after a
vigorous and constructive debate this motion was lost, with concerns on
our independence and autonomy being raised. We will, of course, continue
to have a strong and fruitful working relationship with Linux Australia.

In the immediate future Linux Users of Victoria will host and do most of
the management for Software Freedom Day 2013 in Melbourne, where we have a
great collection of speakers and activities planned, along with our annual
Penguin Picnic. This is, of course, in addition to our aforementioned main
and beginners talks; our immediate upcoming talk includes speakers from
Electronic Frontiers Australia and Amazon Web Services.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GCertPM, MBA
mobile:  0432 255 208