[Lugcomms] [Linux-aus] Council of Australian Linux User Groups

Patrick Coleman pcoleman at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 16 09:47:07 UTC 2008

Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> How open would the list and IRC meetings be? How would we determine who is
> welcome? I take it that each LUG appoints a representative, and only those
> reps are allowed on the mailing list and IRC channel?
>
> This becomes even more important when funding a F2F meeting. Do we have
> representatives from all 30+ LUGs present? How do we define a LUG? Is there a
> requirement of membership size? Does the group have to be specifically
> focused on Linux and/or FOSS?
>
> If I unilaterally declare a users group of one, based in my house and focused
> on *NIX (which _might_ include Linux), will LA pay for me to fly to $location
> for an F2F conf?

Looking at the old thread on the LA list, it looks like the consensus
was reached there to make it part of LCA, similar to how the BoF events
are run. Executives of LUGs could apply for grants from LCA for
assistance travelling if it can be shown they can't otherwise make it,
or something.

As far as how open it can be, I don't have an issue with making it open,
but intended for LUG committee members or their equivalents.

IRC meetups are a great extension to the idea, though.

-Patrick