[Lugcomms] missed meeting... news?

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Tue Jul 8 10:32:08 EST 2008

Hi all,

Apologies for missing the June lugcomms meeting - I was out of town, and
whilst I did have net access - I just clean forgot!

So sincere apologies...  Was a meeting had anyway?  If anyone has logs,
would be good to post them here.

News:
 Education focus
 LCA call for papers
 Questions about incorporation...

Next Meeting: Tues July 29 - 8pm EST - 7:30 CST - 6pm WST - (10am UTC)
 #linux-aus-lugs at irc.freenode.net

** Education focus:

Some of you may have seen this already:
Open Letter to the DPM
http://www.techworld.com.au/article/251554/open_source_community_pushes_canberra_school_computer_fund

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19209/1090/

We need to move on to next steps - I want to re-convene an open
education group - combining the education sub-ctte of Linux Australia,
the edu special interest group of LUV, and other interested souls to
work on the education sector.
  1. Identify blockages to open source adoption
  2. Gather relevant information in one place
  3. Determine who is doing open source stuff for schools in australia
  4. Create and implement a foss marketing strategy aimed at edu sector
  5. Work towards an open source for edu conference mid next year

Starting Point:  http://www.openeducation.org.au/drupal

** LCA Call for participation:
The announcement has been made - if you've not already done so, please
forward to your Lug lists, encourage your local speakers to make
submissions.

Competition is deadly to speak at LCA - but it's worth throwing your hat
in the ring - http://marchsouth.org/

** Questions about incorporation:
Steve and Dave from Gold Coast had some questions about formal
structures of LUGs - I missed the discussion - perhaps someone else
could fill in here?

#linux-aus-lugs at irc.freenode.net

Please post items for Agenda for next meeting to this list.

- Donna

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director
Creative Contingencies - http://cc.com.au