[Lugcomms] OpenCDs for SFD, installfests and other events

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Fri Apr 11 04:49:35 UTC 2008

On 10/04/2008, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
>  Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>  | I wonder what their prices are for smaller runs? We don't want to be
>  | printing too many, given that the rapid development of FOSS can render
>  | discs obsolete within months.
>
> I would disagree with that.  Sure, there might be newer versions of the
>  software out there, but the software itself is not 'obsolete'.  We shouldn't
>  be so addicted to the new hotness to discard something that's working perfectly.

You're right. That was a poor choice of words on my part.

>  If it comes to something like Ubuntu CDs, if we pick an LTS release print
>  enough to last until the next LTS release then this is probably actually
>  cheaper and more sensible than dumping a bunch of old CDs every six months.

Ubuntu is the least of our worries. Discs can be obtained through
Shipit, although they're becoming more selective about what orders
they choose to fulfil.

IMHO the best disc we can press and hand out is the OpenDisc. Many are
reluctant to move to another OS, but are much more comfortable with
trying out new apps on their existing system.

>  I've got the info from my CD printing friend, I just have to wade through it
>  and do the calculations.

Keep us posted. I'll have to make a CD run in about a month.

Cheers,
Sridhar