[LCP] Regarding programming libraries

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 06:32:09 EST 2009

I had a similar situation for my library. Since I only needed about 2%
of the functionality of the other LGPL library, I just moved the code
I needed into my own library. However you have to consider whether
this library you depend on is likely to get important updates (both in
functionality or security). If they are not that popular probably this
is not true and you can just link statically with it and update it
when you feel is better.

I'd suggest that you say which libraries are these and why you feel
you need them, that way better advice can be provided.

Moy

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Christopher Howard <choward at indicium.us> wrote:
> I was working on my open source C app (for Linux) and I wanted to
> implement a certain kind of functionality. I found two shared libraries
> (also open source) on the internet which seemed like they would be very
> helpful.
>
> However, both libraries, as far as I can tell, were made fairly recently,
> and are not very popular, so they aren't in the repositories. I'm
> concerned that if I link to these that no one will want to use my program
> anymore because they would have to find, compile, and install these
> libraries.
>
> What do you think I should do? Should I include a copy of these libaries
> with the source code? Or is it enough just to tell them where to get the
> libraries? Or should I just forget about it?
>
> I was also reading this tutorial on line describing how to make static
> builds of libaries. I've never done it before, but I suppose I could get
> the original source code for the libraries and compile them for a static
> build.
>
> Any suggestions or deep insights?
>
> --
> Christopher Howard
> http://indicium.us
> http://theologia.indicium.us

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the
death your right to say it." Voltaire