[LCP] Regarding programming libraries

Christopher Howard choward at indicium.us
Sat Feb 28 05:15:55 EST 2009

I was working on my open source C app (for Linux) and I wanted to
implement a certain kind of functionality. I found two shared libraries
(also open source) on the internet which seemed like they would be very
helpful.

However, both libraries, as far as I can tell, were made fairly recently,
and are not very popular, so they aren't in the repositories. I'm
concerned that if I link to these that no one will want to use my program
anymore because they would have to find, compile, and install these
libraries.

What do you think I should do? Should I include a copy of these libaries
with the source code? Or is it enough just to tell them where to get the
libraries? Or should I just forget about it?

I was also reading this tutorial on line describing how to make static
builds of libaries. I've never done it before, but I suppose I could get
the original source code for the libraries and compile them for a static
build.

Any suggestions or deep insights?

--
Christopher Howard