No subject

Tue Apr 3 04:48:41 UTC 2007

RETURN VALUE
       On success, the number of bytes  read  is  returned  (zero
       indicates  end of file), and the file position is advanced
       by this number.  It is not an  error  if  this  number  is
       smaller  than the number of bytes requested; this may hap
       pen for example because fewer bytes are actually available
       right  now (maybe because we were close to end-of-file, or
       because we are reading from a pipe, or from  a  terminal),
       or  because read() was interrupted by a signal.  On error,
       -1 is returned, and errno is set  appropriately.  In  this
       case  it is left unspecified whether the file position (if
       any) changes.