[LCP]how to get Call graph for applications, anybody knows

Pankaj Gode godepankaj at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 21:56:02 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Has someone tried on something like this?

I want to implement a concept.

I want to get a call graph for all functions and loops in an application.
with Call graph i mean which line in source code was executed at a instant of time.

The graph would be listing something like

for:31 for:33 func1
for:33
func1 func2
func2

for:line number

With this call graph we mean
1. for:31 called for:33 and func1
2. for:33 is for loop at line 33 , it is calls no one
3. func1 calls func2

and like that

I had gone through tools such as gprof. But problem is gprof gives call graph at function level not at loop level.

One more solution to it is use of "ptrace" which traces the execution flow of an application.
I am going through articles on ptrace with the hope to find solution for my problem.

If anyone knows about such a thing , do reply

Tanveer

http://mail.yahoo.com