[LCP]debugging a Segmentation fault

Tushar_Oza at Dell.com Tushar_Oza at Dell.com
Thu Oct 7 19:46:01 UTC 2004

Set ulimit -c unlimited for enabling core dumps.

-----Original Message-----
From: linuxcprogramming-admin at lists.linux.org.au
[mailto:linuxcprogramming-admin at lists.linux.org.au] On Behalf Of Karthik
Vishwanath
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 2:01 AM
To: linuxcprogramming at lists.linux.org.au
Subject: [LCP]debugging a Segmentation fault

Hello,

I develop a monte-carlo code written in standard C. I recently decided
to "add features" to the previous stable version and now the code aborts
with a Segmentation fault. I suspect the code is executing different
parts of the code before crashing, on different runs (and therefore
crashing at different points?).  There is no core dumped either.

Can I discover which source-line caused the program to abort (or get
information about which function it was, etc.), or trap the signal
within the code and print out details -- how?

Thanks!

-Karthik