[LCP]design issues

Mike and/or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Sep 2 00:02:02 UTC 2003

>   if message size is unlimited message
> queue will not be of much help rest i believe is perfectly scalable.

THAT design issue I can help you with (at least if I understand what you
picture is the problem). Not in terribly different in principle from the
problem of "spanned" records (data of unlimited size in a buffer queue
where the buffer elements are of  fixed size and smaller than the
largest records).

The message is considered "segemented". Each segment has a dedicated
portion, say two bits, which is not considered part of the message per
se (you can use what you want for these but logically each is one bit of
data). One means "this segment is the head of a message" and the other
means "this segment is the tail of a message" (it is possible for a
message to be both if it's contained within one segment. Intermediate
segments of a message would have both these indicators off. Assuming the
segments are also of irregular size, there would normally be a length field.

So the message receiver knows when it has started a new message, is
processing an intermediate segment of a message, or reached the end
segment of the message. The messages can be larger than the queue size
as long as the queue can hold at least one segement.

Michael