[LCP]Printing a Variables Value..!!!

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Mon Jun 23 21:06:02 UTC 2003

On 2003-06-23, Mike and/or Penny Novack wrote:

> I believe what Mohamed is looking for is the capability of a BATCH debugger.

I believe he is looking for what he asked for -- if he wants
something else, it's up to him to say so and not to waste our
time with questions that have no bearing on the matter that is
of interest to him.

It's easy, when faced with poorly-expressed questions that give
the impression that the real question is nothing like the one
posed, to invent scenarios that might explain things.  But that
serves little purpose, especially in the domain of programming
where precise statements of purpose are fundamental.

The first thing to learn is to state clearly the problem and
then to seek answers -- in many cases, a clear statement at the
outset will lead the seeker after knowledge directly to that
which he seeks without any need for outside assistance; and it
will at least lead him to the right question to ask.

> I don't know which if any of the "standard" C
> debuggers might have a "batch" mode. These usually will do other things
> besides "debugging" -- for example, will any of the debuggers "profile"
> a program for you (display where a program spends its time, useful in
> determining where it might pay to "tune" or in proving a test run
> entered some specific area of code).

This kind of thing is nothing to do with C, but is a factor of
the overall environment.  For instance in Unix systems, you have
a variety of profilers that can be used that perform this kind
of service, but nobody would refer to them as debuggers, as that
is not their function.

> I haven't used C debuggers at all yet.

In general, C programmers (with the exception of those who have
chosen not to adopt sensible programming practices) don't use
debuggers.  I don't even know how to drive any of the debuggers
available to me, and do not look kindly upon my programmers if I
catch them wasting time with such tools.

Greg