[LCP]buffering problem

Lucas King lking at fp.fairfax.com.au
Wed Sep 4 03:06:05 UTC 2002

hello,

"Programs using the standard I/O library provided by UNIX automatically
buffer their output when running non-interactively.  This causes
problems when you need to see the output immediately."  ... it is
possible "to make the programs think they are running interactively,
thereby resolving the buffering problem."

the above is an exerpt from a manual.  the problem is, it doesn't go on
to explain how to make a program, e.g. FTP, think that it is running
interactively.

i would dearly like to know how.

as with my Telnet session i am attempting to write a small interactive
FTP session in C.  the problem is that FTP is not passing the prompt
"ftp>" (because it is not terminated by a newline character) through to
my process, thereby making it difficult to determine when it is ready
for further commands.

if anyone has any thoughts on the matter......

thanking you in advance,

Lucas King

This email and any files transmitted with it may be legally privileged
and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you
have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and
permanently delete the document.