[LCP]stdio.h reference

Erik Mouw J.A.K.Mouw at its.tudelft.nl
Tue Jan 8 19:51:24 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:51:23AM -0800, Santosh.Kawade at eyield.com wrote:
> I have 2 questions  in reference to your answer to the #include
>
> >The preprocessor includes the files, expand the macros,
> > strips comments, and then send the output to the compiler.
>
> Does the preprocessor strips the comment or is it the Lexical Analyzer ( first
> phase of compilation) which does that ?

The preprocessor strips comments, pulls in include files and expands
macros.

> my second question is that you said the compiler compiles the code and passes it
> to assembler. Does the assembler really comes into picture or the compiler
> handles everything and passes the obj code to linker to link into exe or
> library.

The assembler really comes into the picture. Remember this is Unix:
tools do only one thing, but they do it exceptionaly well. Try "gcc -v
-o foo foo.c" to see what the compiler does.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,
Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw at its.tudelft.nl