[LCP]Kernel Ques

Erik Mouw J.A.K.Mouw at ITS.TUDelft.NL
Tue Oct 9 00:14:16 UTC 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 03:58:16PM -0700, Manu Anand wrote:
> I've decided to tackle the kernel one module at a
> time.
> So here is the general outline
> 1. fs

Hard, but if you really want, start with understanding ramfs.

> 2. memory

*Very* hard. Just see the current VM problems with the 2.4 kernel
series.

> 3. process

Boring. Nothing new to do, unless you want to enhance the SMP affinity
of processes.

> 4. n/w

Network drivers are relatively easy to write.

> What do you think about it?

I think you should get "Understanding the Linux kernel"
(http://www.ora.com/catalog/linuxkernel/ ) for a grand overview of the
kernel, and "Linux device drivers, 2nd edition"
(http://www.ora.com/catalog/linuxdrive2/ ) for device driver specific
knowledge. The last one can be downloaded for free.

Another nice thing is to start with the various projects from the
Kernel Janitor list: http://www.kerneljanitor.org/ . You'll see a lot
of kernel code with it, and each projects needs some understanding of
the problem before you can fix it.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw at its.tudelft.nl