[LCP]shadow passwords

David Filion filioda at videotron.com
Fri Aug 24 23:18:04 UTC 2001

Situation: I downloaded an app and it compiled fine.  Problem is the password
authentification is not working.  The app is reading the password from the
shadow password file with no problem but when compares that value to the value
the user enters, the two never match.  The app seems to be using crypt() to
encrypt the user entered value.

Q: How do I check to see if a user entered password matches the showdow file
password?  I know how to get the user's value from the shadow password file but
I haven't found a away to properly encrypt the entered password so I can compare
the two.  I've found references to a pw_auth() function but the header it's
declared in never gets installed (it's in the no_install list in the shadow lib
shouce Makefile).