[Linux-aus] Constitutional background and towards a reformed constitution for Linux Australia

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Thu Jan 5 14:56:54 AEDT 2023

On 4/1/23 20:12, Marcus Herstik via linux-aus wrote:
> Considering there is the option to suppress details, maybe we provide
> an option of what the member wants to suppress rather than make their
> mind up for them.

The main issue in my mind, and I suspect in the minds of the other Exec
members, is not what happens going forward for new members.  I assume we
can come to some compromise that works.  An opt-in checkbox that
prevents LA from releasing any identifiable data beyond their names
unless checked does seem reasonable.

The difficulty is what happens for existing members.  LA has never
released personal data the scale or level of detail you requested.  I
think it's reasonable to assume most members thought this would always
be so, and perhaps even assumed the constitution would protect them.
But the constitution harks from another era addresses were for snails
and spamming required dead trees and real money.  Now your request has
made it obvious this may not be the case a few members have contacted
us.  I think "outraged" would be a fair description of their reaction.

So the main issue on the Exec's mind is "how do we respect their
wishes".  TL;DR: the approach the Exec has taken so far is to assume
that checkbox always existed, and no one clicked it.  That's in line
with our privacy policy.

If it is any other way then for me, on a personal level, it creates
serious issues with the data LA has about me and what LA does with it.
I assume I would not be the only one.  LA is free to join, and anybody
can join by filling in a web form.  Once you are a member, you are free
to demand all information allowed by our constitution and (I hope) LA's
policies, just as you have done.  If we are forced to release all the
contact information we have, then it's effectively open slather to all
who want it.