[Linux-aus] What to buy?

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Thu Sep 22 22:20:37 AEST 2022

On 21/9/22 18:19, James Cameron via linux-aus wrote:
> What is a reasonable replacement these days?  Requirements;
>
> - will run Linux, customer installed, - quiet; on a remote farm
> there's no traffic noise to mask fans, - two ethernet ports, - a PCI
> slot for an old DVB-T card, Leadtek WinFast DTV1000 T, cx2388x kernel
> module ... or advice on a replacement four-channel receiver.

I've used Compulab boxes before.  The boxes I've used are EOL now (but
still working).  The brand new fitlet3 fits your requirements if you use
external DVT-T receiver:

     https://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fitlet3

It's a (very small) industrial PC - 5 year warranty, so will probably
last you another 10 years.  Comes with 2 RJ45's, 2 x USB3, 4 x USB2.  No
PCI, but you can add WiFi, RS232, RS485, more RJ45's, internal SSD's.
It's fanless.  Can come pre-loaded with Ubuntu.  The Atom x6425E has a
higher PassMark than the CPU I use with Plex now, and it does
transcoding.  It will draw less than 25W peak, and probably around 5W idle.

You will have to import it from:

    https://fit-iot.com/web/product/fitlet3-build-to-order/

You configure it on that page.  Be sure to read the doco closely before
configuring it, and be sure to allow plenty of airflow around it.
Pricing is comparable to a NUC.  Do the figures on the cost of powering
it.  Something that draws 100W will costs you around $200/yr for
electricity.  This will likely cost 1/10 of that.