[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Info info at petermoulding.com
Sat Oct 22 11:32:03 AEDT 2022

On 21/10/22 13:07, Craige McWhirter via linux-aus wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 18:39:19 +1100, Tim Serong via linux-aus wrote:

> At the very least we should consider adopting a mission statement - as over the

Interesting idea.
How would the membership, or interested members, have input to the mission statement?
How would they vote on a form of the mission statement as ok, yes, lets use this one?

My experience of mission statements is corporate ones with no input from staff, either no meaning or
no actual rules to enforce anything, and mainly a marketing tool.

They tend to be different from a constitution where there are rules to follow for implementing
things and for changing the constitution.

A mission statement could mention representing the non commercial people and activity in our
geographic area and common interest. A large amount of our work on free stuff is paid by companies
who benefit from the free stuff. Sponsorship could be from companies benefiting from free open
instead of companies selling commercial stuff to the free open workers.

Is there an international organisation representing organisations like LCA or neighbour groups with
mission statements we could look at?

Part of the mission could be to make donations to free open tax deductible. What else would you
include in a mission statement?

I would push governments to provide better remote access and to improve education in remote areas to
cover use of technology. This would help LCA to deliver conference events as education for everyone.

Peter