[Linux-aus] Communication and conferences.

Anne anne at coherentdigital.com.au
Mon Oct 17 11:16:18 AEDT 2022

Hi Marcus

I understand you're unhappy about the way OE was announced. I can't see how
continually questioning the people who are bankrolling OE is going to
achieve anything. What's happened has happened, and can't be undone or
changed. Given the people concerned are volunteers, with a day job and a
life to fit in as well, it's not surprising some members consider
communication lacking. Corporates who pay people to communicate with the
public full time suffer from that problem too.

Perhaps you could explain what you'd like to see happen next? What actions
can be taken to address your concerns?

That question applies to anyone else who is also unhappy. Rather than
obsess about the past, let's work out how to fix this and move on.

Personally, I am sad that LCA 23 is not happening. I hope LCA 24 can
proceed, and that there are some people out there somewhere now in the
early stages of working out how they'd run one - though I realise time is
getting short for that.

I am pleased someone stepped up and volunteered to run an LCA-lookalike.
And that's what I consider OE to be. Yet another conference bankrolled and
supported by LA - not LCA but modelled on it so those of us who enjoy LCA
don't miss out entirely. I don't see how supporting yet another open source
conference changes the direction of LA - it's what LA has been doing
"forever". Will OE "replace" LCA? I don't know, my crystal ball isn't
working. It depends on what the community actively supports. Perhaps 2024
will see a viable proposal for an LCA, and not for another OE. Or perhaps
for another OE and not LCA. Or perhaps proposals for both.

The fact that at least some of the organisers of OE happen to be LA council
members is in one way coincidence. In another it's not - those who run for
council are clearly more willing and able to help our community than
others, so it's not surprising they step up when no one else does. My
thanks to those people.

I look forward to reading what concrete actions could be taken to address
people's concerns. Though I would not be in favour of cancelling OE. ;-)

Cheers,
Anne.

Coherent Digital
Suite 9, 1176 Nepean Hwy