[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sat Oct 15 09:16:10 AEDT 2022

On 13/10/22 12:55 pm, Russell Stuart via linux-aus wrote:
> The reason there is no LCA 2023 is no one put up a proposal to run it. In
> fact no one put up a proposal to run LCA 2022 either.

I feel I have to speak out here.

Russell, I'm not sure if you're aware, but there _WAS_ a proposal for LCA
2022.  James Iseppi and I and a team of other people put one together.  We
submitted it in February 2021, although I'm just going on memory here and I
can find the emails if you want.

The LA Council summarily dismissed the bid.  No conversation was entered
into.  We were told it wasn't suitable.

> You seem to be thinking this was a deliberate choice by LA. The evidence in
> the public domain says otherwise - LA repeatedly asked for bids to run LCA
> 2023 (and LCA 2022), and got none.

Well, Russell, I have to assume you weren't part of the team that reviewed our
bid when you make that statement.  I have to assume that the people that did
review our bid did not tell you about it.  That or you're just forgetting our
bid because it was deemed unsuitable.  Maybe you meant "LA [...] got no[ bids
that it accepted]."  I don't know.  Maybe you use "the public domain" quite
literally there, and are excluding our bid because we did not announce it on
the linux-aus list (which, AFAICS, is how the LA Council wants these things to
work).

I really don't want to hash over how we put the bid together, working with ANU
from the previous LCA 2021 Canberra bid.  I'm still pissed off at the way LA
handled it.  That annoyance colours my judgement of how the LA Council has
handled the announcement of the Everything Open conference.  So I'm trying to
put those feelings aside and work with what the LA Council has decided to do.
I'm happy to discuss our bid and what happened to it via direct email, but I
won't discuss it on the list.

Regards,

Paul