[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au domain history was: Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Anand Kumria akumria at acm.org
Fri Oct 14 01:24:50 AEDT 2022

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022, at 21:37, Brendan O'Dea via linux-aus wrote:

> linux.conf.au is an identity.  One which even hinged on the crazy
> domain name which was technically not meant to exist, until someone
> managed to talk kre into some kind of leave-pass which allowed us to
> use it, but only around the conference time
> (http://geonic.net/index.php?section=terms&subsection=AU&lang=RU#confau).
> The time restriction appears to have been lifted.

I think I was just doggedly emailing him - I recall quite a lot of to and fro.
And debugging lots of DNS (which I was unfamiliar with at the time) to satisfy him.

But I did save his response indicating the domain was now active for posterity:

Jon was involved in ensuring the domain would continue to be available for conference use (see: http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/announce/2011-June/000117.html )

Cheers,
Anand