[Linux-aus] internode/iinet/tpg ipv4 bogons in route

Tim Connors tim.w.connors at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 11:10:30 AEST 2022

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022, Damon Permezel via linux-aus wrote:

> Here is the explanation from 2019:
>
> > The 10.20.x.x interestingly is a loopback address for the provider
> > edge NBN / TPG network.It's not pingable, however it does appear in
> > traceroutes.We have discussed this issue with networks to remove it,
> > however it's not high on their agenda and it's not breaking anything,
> > apart from causing angst among the network savvy customers.
>
> Sounds like exactly the thing they would say if they are intercepting
> all my traffic ... -;)

I don't even understand the angst - maybe I'm not network savvy enough.

Telecom providers have internal infrastructure required to route your
traffic.  What IP addresses they are assigned is completely irrelevant to
you, so long as the packets can be routed to your required destination.
Since your required destination isn't a private IP address, it's
completely legitimate for hops along the way to be in the private ranges.

It's not like it's going to break ICMP or anything.

It's not like a vendor of ours who ship thousands of devices with
unconfigurable IPs in a private range, which happens to clash with already
existing mail servers in that same range, which we need to be able to
communicate with.

--
Tim Connors