[Linux-aus] please move technical support issues to another list

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sun Jun 12 00:21:37 AEST 2022

On 11/06/2022 23:07, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:

> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 10:13:51 AEST Ashley via linux-aus wrote:
>
>> I, for one, am gratified to see some discussion that is Linux related
>> on
>> any Linux list. We seem to have become quite silent since the original
>> list split into many lists.
>>
>> I used to love reading the discussions on the SLUG list in the early
>> days (1996- ...). The enthusiasm demonstrated then was infectious. I
>
> Given that most LUG mailing lists are dead or close to dead I think it
> makes
> sense to have a list of larger scope for technical discussion.  The
> Flounder
> list is appropriate for such things (we got 2 new members when I last
> mentioned it) but this list has the people.
>
> I propose that every web page for every LUG in Australia have a pointer
> this list instead of their own list.
>
> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 12:31:06 AEST Info via linux-aus wrote:
>
>> I find issues on a mailing list too hard to follow. When there is more
>> activity, each item for a an issue is buried. Issues are better in an
>> online forum where you can see all the entries for an issue in one
>> page. At
>> most, the mailing list should announce the creation of an issue. We
>> could
>> then subscribe or not to each issue in the forum.
>
> We could have a forum.  Last I heard the LA council was opposed to
> running a
> forum, but we could run one under Flounder if we have a volunteer to do
> it.
> I'm happy to provide all the resources needed to run a forum and help
> out with
> sysadmin.
>
> https://community.nzoss.nz/
>
> The NZOSS forum should also be a good option.  They run things well.
> I'm not
> really into forums, so I'll let the people who are advise on the best
> options
> in this regard.
>
> https://lemmy.perthchat.org/
>
> Another option is Lemmy, the federated FOSS competitor to Reddit.
> Perthchat
> runs a Lemmy server and I'm sure they would be happy to host any Linux
> spaces
> under that.  I created an account on the Perthchat Lemmy server but
> haven't
> really used it.
>
> PS  The one guaranteed way of getting more traffic on a list is to
> start a
> thread saying "we should have less traffic".

what was that... less traffic... we've had more posts in past 24 hours,
13 infact (so byebye info at petermoulding.com) then we've had in 6 months,
mailman is starting to feel loved again :)

Oh can I be the first to say it????  forums suck, all that extra crappy
h t m l eye candy rubbish, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

--
Regards,
Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to
copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate
this message without the authors express written authority to do so.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then
delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately.
Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost
by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.