[Linux-aus] SRV _kerberos._http.COMPANY.LOCAL.

Fraser Tweedale frase at frase.id.au
Thu Jun 9 15:45:35 AEST 2022

On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 02:13:53PM +1000, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
> I have a setup of sssd (the Linux Active Directory client) talking to a
> locally hosted AD instance which also has an Azure AD domain (which isn't
> supported by sssd) mirroring some of the data.  I'm getting repeated DNS
> lookups for the above SRV entry, any idea of what this is about and what the
> right value should be?
>
> The real problem is poor performance with slow logins (like it's timing out
> trying to connect to the wrong server) and it appears that doing hundreds of
> DNS requests for things that don't exist is likely to be part of that problem.
>
> What does Kerberos expect with the _http service?  Does it expect the server
> running on port 88?

I think it's looking for an MS-KKDCP[1] (a.k.a. "Kerberos HTTP
proxy") service.  The expected port is whatever the KDC proxy is
running on.  Typically 443, as the transport is HTTPS.  If you're
not running a KDC proxy leave this record undefined.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-kkdcp

That said I can't see in the MIT Kerberos KDC discovery code how it
could end up querying SRV _kerberos._http.REALM - rather it should
be using URI records for KDC proxy discovery.  But I might have
missed something.

Cheers,
Fraser