[Linux-aus] LCA 2023 ?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jul 30 21:48:40 AEST 2022

On Saturday, 30 July 2022 20:50:55 AEST David via linux-aus wrote:
> In an environment as geographically diverse as Australia, with people 1000s
> of kms apart, nobody has clicked on to running virtual summits/conferences.
> We have the software and know how, yet somehow the logical medium never
> happens.

https://flounder.linux.org.au/events/

It seems hard to get people interested in virtual events.  Due to the decline
of face to face meetings (due to the pandemic and due to the fact that we have
to compete with watching YouTube at home) I started a new group Flounder.  I
had expected that with an area covering Australia, New Zealand, and
surroundings we would soon have 100+ people attending regularly and lots of
offers of talks.  Unfortunately it hasn't been as successful as hoped with
typically about a dozen people.  We have had some quality lectures with
content presented by experts.  The people who attend all have fun and learn
useful things.  But we haven't been able to get more people.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve this situation then please let
me know.