[Linux-aus] LCA 2023 ?

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Sat Jul 30 20:32:26 AEST 2022

Hi everyone,

One of the things I'm observing here is people wanting news on future
open source events from Linux Australia. What I am *not* observing are
folks putting up their hands to volunteer to help run those events.
We've seen PyconAU 2022 not go ahead (quite rightly) to ensure
sustainability and prevent (further) volunteer burnout. OSDC was last
held in 2015 (fantastic event by the way, thanks Morgan and Tim and
team), for similar reasons.

Having been involved in running a few* open source events now, they
happen in one of a few ways (think of this as a rough typography of open
source events):

The first is where a dedicated, volunteer team develops and unites
around a vision, pulls together, overcomes obstacles, floods (looking at
you Brisvegas, and Gold Coast, and oh, G-town), norovirus (kia ora,
Dunedin), bushfire reconstruction delaying the opening of Penguin Dinner
venues (Yama, Canberra), airport buses not showing (hey Ballarat), and
always manages to deliver a memorable experience for hundreds of
delegates. The costs are generally low, because the event relies on
volunteer labour - which is essentially offsetting the labour cost of
the event.

The second is where event management professionals are engaged to run
part or all of the event, necessitating increased costs. Those paid
professionals may be in areas such as event management, audio visual,
sponsor engagement, communications and marketing and so on.

The third is where a commercial enterprise that has an interest in
engaging the open source community runs an event. These can be either
free or low-cost, with the downside that the content is usually
sponsor-flavoured or heavily skewed to the company's interest in putting
on the event - think "make X easier with our product Y" or "Hero TM
stories featuring our product Y but not explicitly referencing our
product Y". If they are higher cost, then the aim of the company is to
derive a profit from the event. The event is a profit generation
mechanism. Sometimes they can be both - sponsor-flavoured and
profit-generating.

Linux Aus events (LCA, PyConAU, OSDC back in the day, GovHack for a
couple years, HealthHack, a few BarCamps and such) have tended to move
from type 1 to type 2 as they have grown in size and complexity, but I
think are definitely not in type 3 territory. Sure, there are often
profits from LA events, but they go back into a) the event itself with
b) 6% going to LA to cover things like insurance and filing taxes and
adminis-not-trivia.

Even if events run as type 2 events - with lots of professionally-paid
skills on board, they still require type 1 event volunteers to set
direction and take ownership of the event. Without this, events are type
3 events - where the event is run as a commercial endeavour.

My point is this - LCA, PyConAU and similar events simply don't run if
we don't have volunteers to run them. And if the events weren't fun, or
worthwhile, or high value, we wouldn't have people missing them. In a
perverse way, it's a good thing that we're missing LCA and PyConAU -
because it's highlighted the invisible labour, the taken-for-granted
volunteers and the thousands of hours of time and passion that go into
these events. We've gotten comfortable expecting an LCA every January or
a PyConAU every September. Because the work of delivering them has been
hidden - behind maturity, behind dedicated people, behind better
processes and systems and technology and communications.

Without that passion, that time, that labour, these events don't happen.
So, if you want an open source event to happen in 2023, you know what to
do. Patches welcome.

Kind regards,

Kathy Reid

* BarCamp Geelong 2011, LCA 2012, GovHack Geelong 2015 & 2016, LCA2016,
and a bunch of years on LA Council