[Linux-aus] Nomination to fill the causal vacancy - President for LUV

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sun Jul 10 12:51:48 AEST 2022

On 10/07/2022 2:38 pm, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 July 2022 01:44:42 AEST Luke Attard via linux-aus wrote:
>>    I formally nominate myself to fill the causal Vacancy position of
>> President for LUV, and therefore take on the responsibility for the
>> president's mailbox, and the responsibility for completing/delegating
>> out the other tasks that have been discussed that needs seeing too.
> To get a new president we need to have an AGM, which we haven't had for some
> years.  Such a meeting needs to have advance notice of at least a month.  So
> we could plan an AGM for September, formally announce it within a week, and
> then accept your nomination.
>
> Some things to note, firstly it's convention that someone's first committee
> position isn't as president.  So while it's not impossible it will be an
> uphill battle if someone else contends for the position.  The next thing is
> that it's not required that someone be president to read the president email,
> being on the committee is required for such things but ordinary committee
> members can be appointed by general agreement without an election.

I'm largely an outsider but I am finding this entire thread somewhat
ridiculous.

There should be no need to 'call for volunteers to read the President's
emails'.

Whoever holds that role, either permanently or for the interim, or
whoever is acting in that role, should be reading it and taking whatever
necessary actions result.

If the group has not had an AGM for some time, then the group is not
acting within the expected norms of an organised society or group and so
its legal status is at question, at best.

The technical issue of managing things like domain name registrations or
SSL cert renewals are something else.

Either LUV has the critical mass of interested persons to sustain its
operations or it doesn't. If there's community value in Linux Australia
directly intervening to ensure that the operations are continued for the
benefit of its members _but in the absence of LUV themselves being in a
position to make those decisions_, then if the relationship supports
that, then fine.

But the entire idea of hitting up the larger LA community for a
volunteer, astounds me a bit. If LUV in its current form is
unsustainable then change is required, but LUV or its remnants should be
the first people initiating actions on this.

Mark.