[Linux-aus] strange ATI video issue

James French james at french.id.au
Fri Feb 25 17:41:21 AEDT 2022

Afternoon Russell,

I had similar issues with an RX 570 and kernels 5.8 - 5.10 (running
Debian testing pre bullseye and then with the bullseye release kernel)
that I never quite worked out. In my case by the time the problem
manifested the system was grossly unstable. Slightly different error
messages if memory serves, but similar pattern of behaviour. In my
case, the problem would be triggered intermittently after a monitor
woke from sleep.

To keep my system usable I was running the buster 4.19 kernel with
testing and then bullseye release for quite a while.

Those issues have been resolved since I moved back to testing and
started using kernels newer than 5.12. If you can tolerate running a
backports kernel, I'd suggest upgrading to 5.15 and see if that helps.

Kind Regards,
James