[Linux-aus] How the council breached their constitution - membersregister request section 7

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Dec 19 11:32:17 AEDT 2022

> > states that "*The subscribers list is only available to the list
> > administrator*", this does not feel like an OK for you to have
> > done, and it's not obvious how you gathered this list, unless you
> > just sought anybody who had contributed to the list over the past X
> > years.
>
> Deliberately publishing the personal information of a large number of
> people, without consent, in response to a thread explicitly
> describing concerns with such disclosure, is at best immoral. It is
> inflammatory and designed to cause upset. I can see no justification
> for it, and it demands a swift and serious response.

I certainly agree with the sentiment, however it is worth pointing out
that the list archives are public[1] and anyone can scrape all e-mail
addresses from them with only a few minutes' work, even if they are not
a member of the list.

Recently Elon Musk has been in hot water for banning the Twitter
account that posted flight details of his private jet.  Apparently the
ban was considered inappropriate, because the flight details are
available to the public on other web sites, so all that was done was
re-posting already public information to Twitter, for which that person
was banned.

If all Daniel has done is re-post public information here, then it
seems that a ban may be overreacting?  Unless of course you are
focusing on the moral aspect instead.

> I think the appropriate response is to expel Daniel Pocock from Linux
> Australia, ban him from associated events, and ban him from the
> mailing lists. I urge the Council to begin that process immediately.

Perhaps it's a good reminder how much of our information is out there
in public already.

Cheers,
Adam.

[1] http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/