[Linux-aus] FLOSS-and-Linux-friendly weather stations?

Paul Gear paul-linuxaus at gear.email
Fri Dec 16 18:37:38 AEDT 2022

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a weather station for the family and don't really
know where to start - I'm hoping some of you might have been down this
road before.

Thinking about what I would like to get out of a weather station, I came
up with the following:

Essentials

  * dual indoor & outdoor stations
  * metrics: temperature, humidity, rainfall
  * can get data out via HTTP, FTP, or other standards-based protocol in
    a sensible format like JSON, CSV, or plain text
  * doesn't require a cloud service to operate
  * wireless connection to outdoor unit
  * 15 minute resolution
  * accurate clock

Nice to have

  * solar power for outdoor unit
  * metrics: wind speed & direction, barometric pressure, battery/solar
    levels
  * self-emptying/no-reservoir rain gauge
  * wireless connection to indoor unit
  * 1 minute resolution
  * (S)NTP client
  * HTTP proxy support if it needs to make outbound connections to the
    Internet
  * decent web interface
  * option to contribute data to collaborative open data projects
    without compromising privacy

Anything else I should think about?  Am I dreamin' [1]?  I am assuming
that I would put them on their own wireless SSID & VLAN with no access
to anything but what I permit.

What price should I expect to pay?  What brands are worth investigating
or avoiding?  I'm in South-East Queensland, if that makes any difference
to what temperature or humidity tolerances it needs.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dik_wnOE4dk