[Linux-aus] Looking for tips on legal hurdles for hosting public online events

Josh Bartlett josh at bartletts.id.au
Fri May 21 09:53:43 AEST 2021

Hi all,

I maintain an open source video game. Every month or so, I organise a small
online tournament. I typically only invite people I know to these
tournaments. I'd love to advertise the tournament more widely, but I'm
hesitant to do so without a better understanding of my obligations in terms
of public liability and child safety when running a public online event.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any people or resources to help me
work through these questions? As I'm sure you all understand, I'd prefer
not to have to pay large amounts of money for advice, as the project has no
source of funding.

(Also, if any of you know of any communities of open source game developers
in Australia, I'd love to hear about them—perhaps I could speak with others
who have faced similar issues.)

Thanks,

Josh Bartlett.