[Linux-aus] this list

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Tue Aug 31 15:52:36 AEST 2021

On 31/8/21 15:46, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
> Past discussions here have had a conclusion that using this list for general
> Linux support is OK.  But the majority of traffic here isn't about that which
> will be a disincentive to people asking such questions.

To be fair there isn't much traffic on this list at all sadly.

> Should we have a separate list for Linux support in Australia to be welcoming
> to such queries?

I'm not opposed to this, but I'm also personally happy for this list to
be used for it (which is probably my preference).

> I received more replies to my message about hands-on training from the luv-
> main list than this list in spite of this list having more than twice as many
> subscribers.  Does that mean this list isn't reaching the sort of people who
> want to learn about how to configure Postfix etc and is mostly about the sort
> of people who are interested in LCA CFPs?  That isn't a bad thing, but if so
> then we probably need a separate list for the people who aren't planning to
> present at LCA.

Right, this is probably the challenge (the audience). So the question
is: is it easier to get the correct audience onto a new list or
participating on this existing list (if that's the decision).

There's also the broader discussion about whether mailing lists are
where people go for discussions or not these days (as opposed to forums,
chat applications, or stackoverflow etc) which I suspect is a large
reason we don't see more activity.

Cheers,
Josh