[Linux-aus] Proprietary MyGovID app to be the only way to login to ATO Business Portal

Ben Sturmfels ben at stumbles.id.au
Tue Mar 24 17:44:03 AEDT 2020

Hi Folks,

I've just sent a letter to the Commissioner of Taxation about the
rollout of MyGovID as the only way to log in to the ATO Business Portal.
This is attached in case there are any business owners who I can
encourage to also speak out.

Essentially the ATO is switching off the nice email/password/SMS-code
MyGov login method I use to access the Business Portal to manage
tax/GST/PAYG/super. The are replacing this with login via a proprietary
mobile app called, confusingly, MyGovID. I'm late to the party, with the
changeover due in only a few days time, but better late than not heard
at all.

I've sent this to the ATO by post and via their
complaints form:

https://www.ato.gov.au/About-ATO/Contact-us/Complaints,-compliments-and-suggestions/Compliments-and-suggestions/

I've also contacted our Federal MP about the issue.

Stay safe!

Ben