[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Events and COVID-19

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Sun Mar 15 12:25:48 AEDT 2020

On Sat, 2020-03-14 at 13:18 +1100, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
> We have to obey Australian law.  We are not required to do the bare
> minimum required by Australian law.

The main ideas we were trying to convey are:

(1)  The LA exec aren't health experts.  We don't be taking our own
     advice (or yours - sorry).

(2)  We will instead be asking every subcommittee to follow the
     spirit of the authorities recommendations, or at least as near
     as we can divine them at the time.

(3)  Beyond that, individual event organisers are of course free to
     take stronger precautions if they feel that's wise.  Open source
     isn't a dictatorship.

(4)  LA decisions are more directed at doing what's best for the whole
     community rather than protecting individuals.  With that in mind
     you should be evaluating your own risks.  Don't rely on LA's
     policies to protect you.  In particular if you are over 65, have
     a depressed immune system or have a history of lung issues I would
     strong suggest not attending ANY gathering until this has passed.